Saturday, January 8, 2011

Gotta do what I gotta do with what I have

Okay, so a couple of blogs back I mentioned that I would do a post about my gear. I thought I would do that today (since I'm sitting here waiting to get my nails done :) )


My gear is far from fancy. I think it was 2008 when I asked for a DSLR from my husband for my birthday. If anyone has shopped around for a DSLR you know how much those bad boys cost.


Now, at the time my intentions for getting a camera were not for getting into the business. I have taken photography classes in high school and college and had always used a 35mm film camera. Since the digital era was here and screaming my name, I felt like it was time to get a digital SLR.


Next was choosing the brand. Canon or Nikon? Actually, this wasn't too much of a hard decision because I also had my heart set on getting a Nikon. I heard great things about it and it was only right to get it. Well...off to Best Buy we go!


I couldn't go too expensive (even though I had a coupon...THANK GOODNESS FOR THOSE COUPONS! ) And I didn't want to get the cheapest camera (which was the D40). So which did I end up getting? The D60 ( ha ha... just the next step up from the D40). It was the best we could buy. The next step up was $800 (don't remember what model that was) and we couldn't afford that one. So we bought me the D60 with the 18-55mm vr kit lens.


I was sooo excited! I wanted to play with it right away. BUT...I couldn't because it was my birthday present, and it wasn't my birthday yet ;( My insides we aching everyday up until my birthday.


Like I said before, when I got this camera, I wasn't getting it to jump into a photography business. I mean, eventually yeah, but not right away. So for about a year and a half my camera was on auto, shooting on jpegs. (Ha ha...)


Long story short, I purchase a 50mm lens on ebay. Good price and works well. Only thing is, its a manual focus. Doesn't bother me much in the beginning because I had to manually focus with film cameras. The lens was working well up until I think September last year. Used it for a shoot that was really beautiful, but when a photo was printed from that session, it came out not tack sharp (when it looked like it on my computer). I vowed never to use that lens again, so the next day I went to Best Buy to purchase a 35mm lens that DOES autofocus :) The reason I bought the 35mm instead of the 50mm is because the 35mm was cheaper.


Other than that, I have a Vivitar flash that I also got on ebay. It's one where I can attach it to the camera. Not the best flash, but it works. I also have a UV filter and now a Polarizer filter (thanks to my in-laws. THANKS!)


That's about it. Sometimes I struggle and wish that I had a pro camera because the one I have doesn't feel like it's up to par, but I have to remember that it's not really about the gear, its what I can produce with what I have. Besides, I still have time to get a real pro camera. :)


Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!


Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment