Wednesday, January 12, 2011

(Im)patiently Waiting....

Why I've never blogged about this....is because I'm scared. Scared of what people may think and/or say. But why should I be scared? I took a risk. A BIG RISK. I don't believe I've ever done anything like this before. Well... not like this at least. Here's the story:

Last month, I found out about a photography scholarship through another photographer's Facebook page. It sounded really interesting... mainly because of the prizes (not gonna lie...I really did get excited about the prizes before I heard all the other info).

Anyhow... the scholarship is called SOAR! Scholarship through MeRa Koh. I've got to be honest, I've never heard of her before. But after reading about her, she sounds like an awesome person with a big heart.

I read more about the scholarship and slowly backed away. The submission was to be a 90 second video of yourself telling everyone why you should win. Doesn't really sound hard, right? It does when you're not comfortable in front of the camera. Then I heard about the assignments. Video blogs every month, teleconferences every month, etc. That doesn't sound like me. I'm perfectly comfortable in my shell.

Well...I thought about it, and thought about it. I wanted a change. I wanted to take a risk. What's the worse that could happen, right? Well... after maaaannnnyyyy attempts and a some tears, I entered the scholarship. Giant load off my shoulder.

Well, the giant load on my shoulder is gone, but the pain in my stomach isn't. Why? Well three winners will be chosen in mid January. Today is January 12. I'd say it's in the mid range. :)

Everyday I go to her website http://www.soarwithmera.com/ to see if she says anything about a date of when the winners will be chosen. Nothing yet. (Pain growing more..)

Even if I am not one of the winners, I will know that I have succeeded in taking a giant step towards my dream. I even plan on doing some of the assignments that the winners will be doing. (I guess they'll be posting the assignment themes for everyone to try.) I AM proud of myself for doing this. And actually, I encourage women (men can do this too) to do this. It made me step out of my comfort zone. To see what I want and work at reaching it. I feel like I'm growing into the person that I want to be.

Good luck to this year's SOAR! applicants and to future applicants. I'll see you in the SOAR! community/forum. :)

Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment