Sunday, January 30, 2011

The power of a black and white photo

Over the holidays I was asked to photograph a baptism. I was super excited because it was my first "event". The family is super nice and sweet. And the little baby girl... she's something.

She was actually my first "newborn" to photograph, although she was a month old at the time. She's sooo cute! Cute chubby cheeks and little pouty lips :) I swear, this little girl is always very aware of me. She knows I'm there to take photos of her. :) At the time of the baptism, it was my third time seeing her. The look in her eyes when she saw me... it was like "I know why you're here. I'm ready for my close up!" :)

Anyhow, that day was her day. She looked so cute in her baptism dress. Like a teeny tiny version of a wedding or prom dress :) AND she had a little tiara to top it off. Soooo adorable :)

The baptism took place in St. Anthony's Church in Manteca (I believe..). This baptism was special and a bit different to me. I was expecting more babies and families to be there being baptized also. However, at this church, the day baptisms usually take place are on Sundays. This family requested a Saturday baptism. Very cool!

I was very nervous when it came to photographing the ceremony. I know each church has rules about photographing inside the church. Plus, at the other baptisms I've been to, the priest always asks people to not photograph during the ceremony. I was afraid this priest was going to request that. Luckily, he said it was okay with him. Click, click, click I went :)

One of my most favorite images I captured during the ceremony is the one below. In color, this photo is still a great photo. But making it in black and white... it brought a whole new feeling to it. In my opinion, making a photo black and white doesn't work for all images. I mean, it may look nice, but one should use it when there is a powerful picture. (So sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings...)

The photo below... I think it's powerful in black and white because there is no color to distract you from the look in the lady's face while she's smiling at her niece. She looks so happy, so proud and so in the moment :) Not posed, not staged, just in the moment. I also love how the flames in the candles showed up. :)



Hope you have a great night! :)

1 comment: