Monday, September 10, 2012

Day 13...Practice makes perfect

Now that I'm on day 13 of this Thirty Day Photo/Blog Challenge, I've been thinking a lot about the types of photos that I want to share. 

I don't want to just post a photo and blog about it because I ran out of time and had to publish it for the day. (Even though the majority of what I've posted already is in fact the result of that.) I would like to share photos of what I specialize in, weddings and boudoir.

So with that being said, I'm going to try my hardest in doing just that. Whether it's actual weddings or boudoir sessions that I've shot, or details (because I LOVE the details), or just practicing, you're going to see more of that.

Tonight, I practiced on ring shots. I don't own a nice macro lens, so I can't get those up close shots of the rings. But that's okay. 

Last week while on the computer, I saw a shot (I totally forgot where I saw it) where the photographer photographed the rings on an iPhone. Not using his iPhone, but stacked on it. It was pretty cool because the light from the iPhone helped illuminate the rings. That got me thinking, "I could totally use my iPhone to do that too!" But not like how that person did it. I was thinking more like using my flashlight app to help illuminate it from the side, or even shooting the ring shots with my iPhone because it can get in there really well and be sharp at the same time.

Here's what I mean...

I shot this with my Canon 7D and 50mm lens. 


I was at ISO 6400, f3.5 at 1/1600th of a second. And that's the September issue of Vogue, that I have yet to finish going through. :)

Here's the photo shot with my iPhone 4s.

 
The rings look sharper in the photo shot with my iPhone, don't you think? 

I still like the depth of field in the first photo, but the second photo looks just as fine. I would still play around with my angles when using my iPhone, but if you're in a pickle and can't get that perfect ring shot with your DSLR, try busting out your iPhone (or smart phone) and play around with that. 

Here's another one shot with my 7D.


I love this one because of the blue lights in the background from my husband's computer. :) This was shot at ISO 6400, f3.5 at 1/2500th of a second. 

Hope this post helps at least one person out there. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment